Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Halfway Between the Gutters and the Stars





I remember life back at the turn of the century (yeah, it's kinda cool to be able to say that and not be an elderly man). On one hand, I was disappointed that the Y2K thing didn't bring more excitement, but all that quickly faded as I moved down outside of Clemson, SC. I was getting heavy into the rave scene at that time of my life and I really got to experience house music in a totally different light.


What started as my introduction to EDM at a small, local club soon escalated to attending full out raves in various cities and locales, from Charlotte to Oakland, from the warehouse districts to abandoned movie theaters. I met so many cool people, had countless conversations about anything and everything and witnessed something that had the power to bring strangers together under a unifying theme - the love of music.


At the time all this was happening, I remember Fatboy Slim holding a section of my aural attention. Though some of his live sets were less than phenomenal, I have to say that he did produce some great tracks throughout his tenure. His album, "Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars" was making an impact shortly after Y2K and I fell in love with it. Most notably was the finale by the name of, "Song For Shelter." That song held such truth for what I had perceived the world of music should be like. And to this day, my love for EDM has been shaped by his sentiments expressed in that very song.


I, for one, have never cared for fame or recognition. I don't make my mixes for money. I simply do what I do because I love music through and through. It's been the one rock in my life and has been there since as far back as I can remember. It saddens me to see so many people these days exploiting musical talents (some of them artificial, some of them bought and paid for), for such trivial things. I know that it's just a phase and soon the masses will move on to other faddish and trendy avenues, leaving behind the true music makers and those who love, listen and dance to their heart's content.


To all of the people who understand what it is I speak of and honestly share these same passions, I raise my glass and crank up the volume...

No comments:

Post a Comment